O-scale Gooseneck Light Kit - NK013
|Diagonal (side) cutters||1|
|6" Ruler with at least 1/16" increments||1|
|Dremel tool with sanding disks||1|
|# 76 drill bit||1|
|Pin Vise - we recommend Starrett 162-A (0-.040" opening)||1|
|Access to drill press (used to punch holes in
(alternate method can use a small mallet or hammer)
|# 71 drill bit||2|
|Small sheet (approx. 1"x 2"x 1/8" thk) styrene, brass or aluminum||2|
|6" length (or two 3" lengths) of 1/4"-20 threaded shaft approx.(used for tube bending support) cost~$1.50||3|
|Evergreen strip styrene # 149 (.040" x .250") two 2-3" lengths cost~$2.00||3|
|Straight pin or needle (for flaring end of tube)||4|
|Matches, candle or small torch (for heating end of tube)||4|
|Fine grade steel wool (handy for tube cleaning)||4|
|2-part 5-minute or 2-ton Epoxy (any Hardware store)||5|
|Toothpicks & aluminum foil )to mix epoxy with/on)||5|
|Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol (for parts cleaning)|
|CA Adhesive (super glue)|
|35-45 watt soldering iron (for wire preparation)||6|
|Lower temp soldering iron (12-15 watt for LED soldering)||7|
|Magnifiers & good workbench lighting|
1. These tools will be used to cut the tubing and finish the ends. Details of this procedure can be found here.
2. These are used for punching holes in the lampshades. This procedure can be reviewed by clicking here.
3. Bending of tubing using external support can be easily performed by using a bolt's threads for side-support during bending, similar to the way a conduit bender works. Click here for details.
4. Flaring of tube end is for lampshade support and bonding. This procedure can be reviewed here.
5. Two-part epoxy is preferred over CA adhesive for affixing lampshades to tubing. This procedure can be reviewed here
6. This soldering iron is used for pretinning the N5038 magnet wire (included in kit). This procedure can be reviewed here.
7. A low-temperature iron is used to solder the wires to the LEDs. This procedure can be reviewed here.
The photo on the left shows another view of the gooseneck building light that
can be built with the parts in this kit.
Following is a list of tools and supplies that will be required to build gooseneck lights. This list also is included with the kit.
|N7026||O 18" Lampshade||8|
|N7001||N 18" lampshade (O wall escutcheon)||8|
|N2025||0.025" Stainless Steel Tubing x 9" long||3|
|N5038||#38 magnet Wire red & green 100 ft. each||1|
|N1022C||2x3mm Incandescent high-intensity LED||8|
|NB4530||453-ohm 1/4-watt resistor (for 12-volt DC operation)||10|
This kit includes LED current protection resistors for use with a 12-volt DC power source. If separate DC power is not available, we highly recommend our versatile NK218 LED Power Kit for $26.75.
Details and a link for purchasing the NK218 can be found by clicking here.
An itemized list of parts included in the kit is as follows: